POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is it real...? : Is it real...? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:25:00 EDT (-0400)
  Is it real...?
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 13 Oct 2001 10:25:16
Message: <3bc84ecc@news.povray.org>
Just wondering how many people try to model reality, and how many try to
model an appearance of reality. For instance, when you need a crowd of trees
in the background, are you more likely to make a bunch of trees, or will you
put up an image map of some trees on a box? When trying to make a texture,
do you make it in detail every time, or do you let it slide if it is too far
back for all the normals to be seen?

    Since I always tend towards animation, I try to make things real. It
means that some projects just don't get done. But if I ever want to do a
walk through of one of my scenes, nothing ends up looking bad from the other
side.

    Just curious, no intent to disparage either method or assume that people
should use one exclusively of another. I just get the feeling that people
who aren't as hung up on reality are the ones that send us such good scenes
more often than others.